Here is a little bit about the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.
In 1860 a group of railway enthusiasts and local Gloucester merchants came together and formed the Gloucester Wagon Company which later became the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Limited.
During the late Victorian period between the 1880's and 1890's the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company had over 600 depots and outposts in the UK and Oversea's and many of which were located in South Wales.
In the early 1900's to 1930's the company had a contract to build a collection of buses for various companies including Red and White a rather local company called the Gloster Gardner, Gardner being the engine and the body was built and supplied by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company and was built on the companies 5 acre works on Bristol Road, Gloucester. As well as these road vehicles they also built Trolley Buses, Trams, the very first London Electric Cab, horse-drawn carts, hand carts and ambulances for the First World War, the list is endless.
During World War Two, Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company was employed to manufacture 746 Churchill Tanks of varying types for the Army, they also built Torpedo Wagons for the Royal Navy propellant Factory and other various items.
The last wagon rolled out of the works on Bristol Road in 1963/4 and later the Company was taken over by Wingets of Rochester ans again by Powell Duffryn of South Wales. The Company later closed down in 1986.
This is just a very brief history of some of the memorable items which Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company, a full history of the company can be supplied to anyone who is interested to learn more, please email us if you require any further help our email address is email@example.com or visit the Museum at the Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway.